Wednesday 17 April 2013

Photosynthesis

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky has been my latest read (not counting the four page, made of material and requiring animal noises I frequently narrate).

This book is quite good for several reasons. The entire book is a collection of letters the main character Charlie is writing to an unknown 'friend'. Chbosky has cleverly changed the prose to match the teenager's own developing writing skills throughout his freshman year at high school. The book also never lost my total interest and I was able to finish it in a few days.

One of the greatest things about this book is how it takes you back to when you were a teenager trying to make sense of the world. I love how this coming of age tale captures that awkward yet exhilarating time in our lives. The time when we felt things so intensely, like a heightened sense of reality. Every feeling, new experience and new person created such a rush in our day to day existence.

It also explores how music is the saviour of all of us in our youth (well it was in mine) and how one song can make you feel like the musician just read your mind and made a tune to resonate in your heart.*

Chbosky's poignancy when dealing with how we come of age when we realise no one is perfect, nothing is always on just face value and how we must let go of fear and embrace life, lends itself to some magnificent quotes (too many to list here).

I haven't watched the movie version yet but plan to soon. Give this a book a whirl if you are after something a little different but nostalgic and relatable.

Ps. Have a look at http://rusabs.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/flowers-on-wall.html on a different take on being a wallflower :)

*One Tree Hill's soundtrack takes me straight back every time!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book! I have heard great things about the movie but I haven't seen it yet, and I didn't even know it was originally a book! I think I'll try to read the book first... although I already have about five books in my 'to read' queue! x

    ReplyDelete