Saturday 24 November 2012

The Real Deal



Boyz II Men are the real deal.

A bunch of my girlfriends (who used to be my R&B clubbing buddies) and I had the honour of watching Shawn, Nathan and Wayna (aka WAYNE-A in my bogan accent) do their thang.*

The boys still have got it. The best group vocals I have ever heard along with killer dance moves including sliding and high kicks. they are touring for their 20 years in the business which includes a new double disc album - one for all the classics, the other all new material. we were entertained by selections of both plus a killer Motown tribute and other covers.

The crowd was diverse and somewhat older than the Foreshore kids** roaming the city at the same time. It was great to be in a crowd without one brand of style or ethnicity. Seemed like posers were kept to a minimum.

What was even better was the reminder that these guys who brought us from Girls II Women (I used to listen to them on cassette and loved when they appeared on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Christmas special ), was that you don't need half naked women in your music videos to get music kudos. Nope, you just need pure soul, raw talent and a killer song writer.***




*Michael has never returned to the group.He left in 2003 due to a struggle with scoliosis. He was set to return in 2011 but talks fell through.
** Disclaimer: I have nothing against Foreshore kiddies, hey I was a Stonefest and Good Vibes girl myself. Just feel sorry (and cold) for those girls who find the need to have their bum cheeks out for the world to see.
*** Cue Babyface

No comments:

Post a Comment