Monday 19 November 2012

Best Reads

I have been slack lately with reading books other than What to Expect When you are Expecting, Up the Duff'* and now Save Our Sleep**, so for this post I will just list some of my all time favourite reads. The following tales found me at different times in my life and struck some cords in my heart and mind***. 

The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao – Junot Diaz
If I was forced to pick a favourite book of all time, this would be it. One of a kind, unique and perfect in its imperfection – hahaha now I totally sound like a literary wanker ;).

Papillion- Henri Charrierre
A total classic that proves real life is better than fiction (or not, depending who you believe as some claim parts of Papillion actually happened to other prisoners, not Charrierre).

Life of Pi – Yann Martel
Just brilliant with an amazing twist. Is about to be released as a movie as well.

Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns – Khalid Hoessini
Both are heartbreaking, full of strength and unforgettable.

Persuasion – Jane Austin
My favourite of Miss Austin's classics so far (I haven't read all of them yet). Love how it is about getting a second chance with the same person you fell in love with years ago but thought you had lost. It is also a great tale to remind ourselves to follow our hearts, not always our heads.

To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
There is a reason why it is a classic. If you didn't read it in high school (most people do in English class) go out now, get a copy and start reading.

The Happiest Refugee – Anh Do
Read this nonfiction gem in a few days. Do’s story is such an important tale in our time as modern Australians. Has sold out a few times in Australian bookstores.

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
I read this book years ago and remember loving it. This passage always sticks in my mind as well:

Mother always said that my sister Satsu was like wood. As rooted to the earth as a Sagura tree. But she told me I was like water. Water can carve its way, even through stone. And when trapped, water makes a new path.

The History of Love -Nicole Krauss
Love the creativity of this book. I think Ms Krauss is an even better writer than her husband Jonathan Safran Foer which is no easy feat! My friend Seiji did a nice piece on it here. Funny ’cause I totally forgot one of the main characters name is Leo which is what we call my little man J ps. Seiji, start blogging again, I miss this window to your mind and travels!

Marching Powder – Rusty Young
Often gruesome but always enthralling.

Favourite book series growing up:

Anne of Green Gables – Lucy Maud Montgomery
When I was young (Primary school)

Fear Street – R.L Stine
When I was a bit older (Late primary school)

Tomorrow, When the War Began – John Marsden
When I was nearly full grown or thought I was (High School)


*Both fantastic choices for expecting mums.
** Must read for sleep deprived parents.
*** Apologies for any editing and style mistakes in this post. I'm blogging in between sleeps/feeds/delirium.

5 comments:

  1. Love this post M. You've inspired me to get onto my current read The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list Em! I love that Anne of Green Gables made the cut! I used to have the whole series... nerd alert :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!
    Rose - let me know how you go, I haven't even seen the movie yet.
    Shazza - don't worry, I had them all as well plus was watching the movie rerun on daytime tv the other day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post M! many of these are on my favourites list too! To kill a Mockingbird in particular :)If you liked the two Khalid Hoesseini books (which I could NOT put down) you should read "The Little Shop of Kabul"...nowhere near as haunting or disturbing but they are similar esp A Thousand Splendid Sons...oh and Anne of Green Gables...LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to bookmark this and come back to it when I come to buy my next book x

    ReplyDelete