Saturday 1 December 2012

Sunshine State of Mind...

The weather has been scorching, Christmas is just around the corner which adds up to one thing = our annual two weeks break with the in laws in Queensland, specifically South-East Queensland.

A psychic told me once that Queensland would be a special place for me. That it held a bunch of women who would become my family and it will be my second home. At the time, I was a 21 year old girl who loved nothing more than going to gigs, alternative fashion and frequenting cafes. Nah, I thought, she has got me all wrong, I'm going to end up in trendy Melbourne! Well turns out she at least got one thing right, as I did marry a Queenslander who has two sisters and a mum (plus a dad and other relos I adore). Dr Love is the only member of his family that has left the Sunshine state and you can see why everyone else has stayed, pretty hard to give up such a nice lifestyle.

We are blessed with both worlds - fantastic careers and friends in Canberra but the ability to spend time north of the border X 2 a few times a year. So here are just some of the things I love about South East Queensland:

Beaches
Where the land meets the sea is the biggest draw card of this sunburnt state. Dr Love is from Ipswich, which is on the west border of Brisbane. So we either go south to the Gold Coast or north to the Sunishine Coast. We usually choose the latter, which is the opposite direction of schoolies and bad boob jobs. Not that I'm anti Goldy - Green Mount is Dr Love's fav surfing spot, the Goldy has all the theme parks, super malls and Surfers does have its own glitzy style but the Sunshine Coast is more chilled which is more of our vibe*

Maloolaba is my favourite beach because it has the right mix of everything - gorgeous beach, hottie life savers, yummy food and some shops but no snobbiness like its cousin Noosa.

The more I travel the world the more convinced I am we have the best beaches. They are crystal clean with comfy white sand, not polluted water with rocks everywhere. While I love the paradise that is Borocay of the Phillipinnes and the seaside charm of the Greek islands, if you want warm surf, QLD is the place to go.

Queenslanders
Not the people**, but the houses. My dream house is a Queenslander with a massive wrap around verandah. They possess so much charm and character. From the large, regal ones to the cute colorful cottage style, I love them. My love of Queensland arcticher extends to the traditional pubs and shops in old parts of Brisbane and Ipswich. So easy breezy. Totally dig it.

Brisbane
I adore this river city even though I haven't spent as much time as I would like in it. My few visits has left me an impression of a city more laid back than Sydney, less pretentious than Melbourne and full of charm.

Seafood
Enough said really.

Sunshine Coast Hinterlands
Just stunning and so lush. Perfect place to enjoy a weekend.

Wet and Wild
Heaven on Earth. I mean business when I visit - must wear a rashie and compete with the kiddies in the long lines. Word of advice - go in groups of two unless you want to share close proximity aka floating device with a stranger.


Disclaimer: I wrote most of this in December. It is now January and we are in the middle of floods and stuck inside - this also happens a lot in the 'Sunshine State' ;)


* Helps that the in laws share a holiday home three minutes walk from Wutulla beach. Three brothers built this home over 25 years ago and will be selling it next year *sob*.
** The people are grinners as well :)









2 comments:

  1. This post is full of typos and formatting issues but using the blogger app, not a laptop - difficult to edit, so you will have to forgive me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgive you! My blog would be completely indecipherable if I didn't paste into Word and run spell/grammar check! I love reading your posts M, even though we've been friends for years, I always learn something new about you and now QLD!

    ReplyDelete