Monday 15 July 2013

Focus


The universe has been trying to tell me something over the last few weeks and finally I’m listening.


It slowly came to surface when I thought about doing a post on a few personal items (jeans, bag plus a jacket) that contained more than just beauty and practical use to me, but rather invoked emotion and fond memories, along with attitudes about myself “if I can fit into my skinny jeans then I feel better about me”.
Like a lot of my ideas, I got busy ‘living’ and the post never eventuated. However, my spirit must have been ready for a new message because a few things have happened in the last few days:

• My dear friend Miss Y came over and we got talking about what really fulfils us and the consumerist culture we live in

• Miss Y and I decided to go to church the next day (something I haven’t done besides for christenings and a funeral in a very, very long time), and to our surprise but not to dismay the preacher discussed ‘consuming what is really important, letting go of the rest’

• A few blogs on slow living and de-cluttering came to my attention such as shedmom.com with the tagline ‘Create space for what matters most’ and slowyourhome.com

• I noted myself wanting to shop to get a high in a depressing kind of day

• I have spent time with my Great Aunt, who is quite wealthy and lives smack bang amongst the action in Sydney, but lives a life filled more with giving than possessions


All these situations have got me thinking. I know it is OK and even nice to have lovely things. I also think it is important to work hard and provide a home, transport and opportunities for your family and loved ones. But I am guilty of hoarding things I don’t use and putting too much emphasis on stuff that doesn’t really matter.


This applies to the use of my time, not just focusing on ‘stuff’, and yet they are linked. If I have less stuff in my house to keep organised and clean, I have more time to do something with my son. So I have started de-cluttering my home, with the help of lists/tips on the above mention blogs.


Likewise, when hubby was on a work trip I got into a bad habit of not getting to bed on time and spending hours surfing the web. Doesn’t seem too damaging, but this habit was robbing me of much needed sleep and time doing something more beneficial, like finally reading that book on my bedside table. So now I make a conscious effort to be in bed by 9pm and no phone or ipad in the bedroom.


Ultimately, we are only given so many resources in this life every day, time and money being the big two. The question is how do we want to spend them??

*image credit: noushka_styling Instagram account


2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Em!
    I've been going shopping a lot lately, but really struggling to find anything.
    Guess that's because what I really need and want can't be bought from a shop (like a hug from a good friend like you!).
    Love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent all day at a fashion event over the weekend and I bought one necklace from a little market stall. I just felt overwhelmed and couldn't take it. I went and got a simple manicure to get away from the shopping. It was the best part of my day. I don't hang onto a lot of things but I am finding I am more guarded about my time now. I focus on how I use it and what I'm really doing with it.

    ReplyDelete