Sunday 30 December 2012

Progress...

Well it is that time of year again - resolution time!

I've never been a huge fan on 'resolutions' but rather 'goals' and usually made them on my birthday instead of New Years. However, I forgot to this year due to being quite ill and at a wedding so I am joining the masses and planning mine now.

1. Aim for progress, not perfection

I saw this as an instagram quote and it has really resonated with me. To the naked eye I might not seem like a perfectionist (I'm not very competitive or neat) but I am. I belong to the 'hard on myself, never can live up to my own expectations' perfectionist club. I realise I have allowed this trait do three unhealthy things in my life:
1. I never feel good enough
2. I do not do things because I'm waiting to get it just right (thus the 'saved as drafts' blog posts and half finished marketing plans)
3. I beat myself up for my shortcomings.

Never fear! I've already adopted this quote for my new mantra and have realised if I keep trying to get things perfect they will just remain ideas with no results. In the last few days I have:
* finally started sponsoring a child through Plan. Something I have wanted to do for ages but just kept putting off
* initiated a new volunteer venture (watch this space for more details)
* started Little L's baby book
* being more conscious of how I speak to Dr Love (which is my second goal for the year).

The above may not seem that significant but they are to me. I'm making a conscious effort to 'just get things done' and stop getting hung up on getting things perfect. My hope and aim is that I can maintain this approach through 2013 which will allow me not only to achieve more but also be kinder to myself.

2. Speak gently

One of my bad habits is how I snap at Dr Love when we are speaking about day to day things. I only speak to him in this manner and it does distress me how we often are not as gracious as we should be to the people that matter the most. It started off without me realising (Dr Love used to have a gruff way of communicating and I started mimicking it unconsciously). It now has turned into common practice due to being frustrated when having to repeat myself (admit it guys, you aren't always the best listeners) and just being sooo tired due to having a new baby making me the Grumpy one of Snow White's crew. Breastfeeding, lack of sleep and constant demands of parenthood have taken their lingustic toll. While we have a rock solid relationship full of love there is always room for improvement so this is my second goal for the year (along with to stop swearing but I make that goal every year and fail miserably - it is my biggest vice).

So there you have it - two of my resolutions/goals for 2013. What are yours? Please share as I find when I do I become more accountable and committed :)

See ya,
M x
Ps. Notice my non-perfect image below? Could of been cropped better but leaving as is to prove I don't have to get everything spot on... Hehehe

2 comments:

  1. Love you darling girl, and I love that quote above. While I promise to never have New Years resolutions, something always springs to mind in the 11th hour. I think for me it's time to get fiscally disciplined and try, try,try so very hard to get healthy in that last frotier, the body. I also share your resolution to be mindful of the way I express myself to the Husband and finally...not take life so bloody seriously! Best of luck my love, you know you've got me inyour corner.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. * on that last frontier and um all the other typos!

    ReplyDelete